Covenant Presbyterian Church:
A salt and light community
Jesus says to us, "Let me tell you why you are here. You're here to be salt - seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth. Here's another way to put it: You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world." (Matthew 5:13-14, The Message)
1) Covenant folks cherish our inter-generational worship.
- I John 4:16-17a. God is love. When we take up permanent residence in a life of love, we live in God and God lives in us. This way, love has the run of the house, and [love] becomes at home and matures in us. (The Message)
2) Covenant folks seek to be biblically and spiritually formed.
- Psalm 25:4-5. Make me to know your ways, O Lord; teach me your paths. Lead me in your truth, and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; for you wait all day long. (NRSV)
3) Covenant folks are relational.
- Colossians 3:12-15. As God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, meekness and patience. Bear with one another and, if anyone has a complaint against another, forgive each other, just as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called to one body. And be thankful. (NRSV)
4) Covenant folks seek to provide hospitality.
- Colossians 4:5-6. Conduct yourselves wisely toward outsiders, making the most of the time. Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt [to bring out the best in others], so that you may know how you ought to answer everyone. (NRSV)
5) Covenant folks are respectful and embracing of all Christian traditions.
- Philippians 2:1-3. If there is any encouragement in Christ, any consolation from love, any sharing in the Spirit, any compassion and sympathy, make my joy complete: be of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility, regard others as better than yourselves.
6) Covenant folks have a heart for mission.
- Matthew 28:18-20. [The resurrected Jesus spoke, saying:] "All authority in heaven and earth has been given to me. So move out and disciple all nations, baptizing them into the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to keep absolutely all that I commanded you;And look! I myself am right there with you all the days, to the consummation of history.” (F.D.Bruner)
7) Covenant folks are need-responsive.
- I Timothy 6:18. Go after God, who piles on all the riches we could ever manage – to do good, to be rich in helping others, to be extravagantly generous. If you do that, you will build a treasury that will last, gaining life that is truly life. (paraphrased from The Message)
8) Covenant folks are increasingly generous with time, talent, and treasure.
- Luke 6:38. Give away your life; you’ll find life given back, but not merely given back- given back with bonus and blessing. Giving, not getting, is the way. Generosity begets generosity. (The Message)
9) Covenant folks are emotionally available and free.
- Romans 12:15. Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. (NRSV)
10) Covenant folks are a people of GRACE.
- Exodus 34:6-7. The Lord, the Lord, a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness, keeping steadfast love for the thousandth generation, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin,…(NRSV)
- Ephesians 2:8. For by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God. (NRSV)